Though I haven’t posted for a while, I’m pleased to report that I have recently managed to get back into stitching. Last week I gave a talk to Huddersfield Embroiderer’s Guild. I was asked to talk about computers and embroidery. I agreed to do it not only because it was a great opportunity, but also because I knew it meant I would have to finish some pieces, create a few new ones, and make them presentable i.e. I would have to frame them too.
Firstly, I finally finished the poppies. Originally the stems were too thin. I added thicker stems (by stitching down thicker yarns) and they just looked false. I removed them and added more stitching, particularly pink down the side of the stems. Here’s the finished picture:
The following piece was inspired by Warm Tides by Sharon Cummings. I loved the colours and the apparent movement in the original. As part of my distance learning machine embroidery course I was required to use bonding techniques. I used dyed and painted strips as the basis of the work, then attempted to use the machine stitching to give the impression of movement:
I also stitched a few more leaves (one of my favourite subjects). The first one was inspired by a leaf I dried long ago. I drew the outline, then a border, and added the word leaf. The stitching was freemotion ‘go with the flow’:
I liked the translucent nature of the lutradur when it was held up to the light. I’ve already bought a small, second hand lampshade so that I can take it to pieces and then hopefully create something special. Let’s hope it doesn’t take quite so long.